Police Officers and Dispatchers are often asked many questions throughout the course of their busy workday. We have compiled a list of the questions that we hear the most often from people in the community.
- Does Huron have a curfew for minors?
Yes, minors under the age of sixteen may not be present in public spaces between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Where can I be fingerprinted for a job application or background check?
The Beadle County Sheriff's Office provides this service to the public. They can be contacted at 605-353-8424 for more information.
- Do I need to have a driver's license to operate a moped or ATV?
Yes, according to state statute you must have a driver's license to operate any motorized vehicle on public roadways. If the moped's engine is greater than 49cc then you will also need a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license.
- Do I need license plates for my moped?
If the moped's engine is 49cc or less then you do not need license plates. Mopeds with an engine larger than 49cc must have license plates.
- What is the law regarding child safety seats?
The driver of any vehicle transporting a child under the age of five or weighing less than forty pounds must use a child safety seat. If the child is over the age of five or weighs more than forty pounds a seat belt can be used. A booster seat is still recommended for proper placement of the seat belt across the child's body.
- How do officers determine fault when a traffic accident occurs?
Law enforcement officers do not determine fault in a traffic accident. Their job is to investigate the incident and document any factors that contributed to the vehicle accident. Fault will be determined either by your insurance company or during a civil court proceeding.
- When is a snow alert declared?
The City of Huron will declare a snow alert when snowfall exceeds two inches.
- How do I know when there is a snow alert in effect?
The easiest way to get up-to-the-minute information is to sign up for alerts from the City of Huron! Alerts will provide you with information about weather, snow alerts, street closings, etc. Sign up for alerts now.
- How long do I have to remove the snow from my sidewalks?
Snow must be removed from sidewalks within 48 hours after any snowfall, snow, or ice accumulation.
- Can I use fireworks inside the city limits of Huron?
No, it is unlawful to discharge any fireworks inside of the city limits. It is also unlawful to possess fireworks in a public place that are not sealed in their original packaging.